History

History of Gedling House Woods and Meadows Prior to 1955

The Woodland and Meadowland was in private ownership until its sale in 1955 to Carlton District Council whose role was subsequently assumed by Gedling Borough Council, the present owner.

In 1953 a significant event occurred in relation to the area of woodland. The Forestry Commission gave permission to a Major Rawnsley of Leicestershire, the then owner to fell 12 acres of beech and elm trees in the area of Gedling House. The licence indicates that trees were then between 120 and 250 years old.

Conditions associated with the permission for felling required that “the licence is to be managed in accordance with the rules and practice of good forestry in such a way as to secure its restocking with Sycamore / Beech / Elm by natural regeneration or under planting”

There is no evidence that conditions associated with the original felling of the hard wood trees were subsequently followed through.

In 1955, the owner sold the wood land and meadowland (26.8 acres) to Carlton District Council.

History of the areas since 1955

The meadowland area has been let by the council for grazing for at least 40 years.

  • 1991 A Local Association was formed to work with the Council in the management of the wood and meadowland.
  • 1992 The woodland area was designated a Local Nature Reserve.
  • 1993 An area of the meadow was fenced to provide for a grassland meadow.
    In conjunction with the Council and the Local Association, British Trust for Conservation Volunteers (BTCV) undertook some clearing and replanting in the woodland and a limited amount of clearing in the meadow area.
    BTCV also undertook a substantial programme of fencing and hedging to define boundaries.
  • 1996 The Local Association disbanded. Gedling Borough Council remained responsible for the maintenance of the areas.
  • 2003 a new local association, Friends of Gedling House Woods (FGHW) was formed to work with Gedling Borough Council in the management of the woods and meadows. Professional surveys of the whole site led to a management programme for both woodland and meadow areas.


Powered by WordPress and HQ Premium Themes.